Accredited as an American National Standards developer and a submitter of Industry Technical Agreements to the IEC, the VITA Standards Organization provides its members with the ability to develop and to promote open technology standards. Standards development takes place in working groups and study groups. The VSO has created more than 30 standards in the past 10 years that promote open technology systems. Within the VSO no one individual holds the power to decide what technology may become a standard — that power belongs solely to the membership.
The VSO Policies and Procedures (VSO PP) describe the general operating policies and rules for the VSO, with the goal of serving both VITA members and VMEbus technology users.
The VSO was accredited as an American National Standards developer in June 1993, and follows a process described in "Procedures for the Development of American National Standards within the VSO."
The Industry Technical Agreement (ITA) is an IEC program that allows industry groups to develop specifications and receive recognition from the IEC. The VSO received recognition as an ITA submitter in May of 2001. See the IEC website for more information.
Access to individual working group pages requires a VITA member login. The following working groups are active:
- VITA 17.2, 10Gbit Serial FPDP
- VITA 41, VXS
- VITA 42, XMC
- VITA 46, VPX
- VITA 48, VPX REDI
- VITA 49, Digital IF, also see Digital IF Website
- VITA 51, Reliability Prediction
- VITA 53, VME Market Surveillance
- VITA 55, Virtual Streaming Protocol
- VITA 57, FMC FPGA IO Mezzanine Standard
- VITA 58, Electronics Integration
- VITA 59, RSE
- VITA 60, Alternative Connector on VPX
- VITA 61, Alternative Connector on XMC
- VITA 62, Power Supply Standard
- VITA 63, KVPX
- VITA 64, Optimized Footprint for VITA 60
- VITA 65, VPX System Specifications and Practices
- VITA 66, Fiber Optic Interconnect
- VITA 67, Coaxial Interconnect on VPX
- VITA 68, VPX Channel Compliance
- VITA 69, Common Glossary
- VITA 70, Common Standard Template
- VITA 71, Rugged Mezzanine Standard
- VITA 72, Connector Comparision Testing
- VITA 73, Small Form Factor - SFF-v73
- VITA 74, Small Form Factor - SFF-v74
- VITA 75, Rugged Small Form Factor (RSFF) Technical Working Group (TWG)
- VITA 76, High Performance Cable Standard
- VITA 77, VPXi
- VITA 78, NGSIS - Intra-satellite physical and logical interconnects
- VITA 79, Embedded Photonics
- VITA 80, Interoperability, Develop a method for testing interoperability among VPX modules.